On July 25, representatives from the Arts Council and Americans for the Arts released the results of the Arts & Economic Prosperity IV study for the City of Indianapolis. The arts industry in Indianapolis generates $384 million annually to the Indianapolis economy, supporting 13,136 jobs (FTE) and returning more than $42.5 million each year in state and local taxes. The Arts Council will continue to share the information and results from the study throughout 2012. In mid-August, Mayor Greg Ballard will announce the 2013 budget that will include an allocation for support of the non-profit arts and cultural organizations in Marion County.
The arts allocation, as directed by the City County Council, is restricted to supporting Marion County non-profit arts and cultural organizations only. In 2012, this allocation was $1 million from the City budget and an additional $300,000 from the Capital Improvement Board. 96.3% of the allocation is awarded directly to arts and cultural organizations. The remaining 3.7% is used to cover the cost of running the grant program and all expenditures are monitored by the City of Indianapolis. No public tax dollars are used to support operational costs of the Arts Council of Indianapolis. No public tax dollars are used for Arts Council salaries of any of its employees. The Arts Council of Indianapolis is audited each year by the independent auditing firm of R.J. Pile. Included in the annual auditing process is a thorough review of the city allocation.
In addition to the $1.3 million, the Arts Council supports artists in our community through the nationally recognized Creative Renewal Arts Fellowship program funded through the Lilly Endowment. This two-year fellowship, funded privately, awards 40 artists and arts administrators with $10,000 each to renew and refresh creativity. Since the program's inception in 1999, the Arts Council has awarded more than $2 million to 330 artists in central Indiana. The Arts Council also offers the Beckmann Emerging Artist Fellowship program. This program, also funded privately, awards $3,500 to two emerging artists each year. Both of these fellowship programs are offered to artists in our community and are funded through private sources - not through the city allocation.
The Arts Council also owns and operates the Indianapolis Artsgarden, providing more than 300 free performances each year and provides performance fees and exposure to hundreds of central Indiana performing artists. In addition, the Arts Council operates Gallery 924, exhibiting the work of central Indiana professional artsits.